IVA trim and a tidy up of wiring

Unfortunately, it’s time to fit the mirrors. I’ve not felt the car is missing them, but no doubt this is because I’ve not driven it yet. For IVA, they are ugly as hell mounted where they are, making the car look like a kid needing it’s ears pinned back. The stalks are in the hand-labelled IVA bag and fit onto stubs, which in turn mount in the centre threaded hole of the windscreen stanchion. I needed to drill my stalks out fractionally, otherwise there was no way they were fitting. Tightened by a grub screw, they go on quickly, but are no more beautiful for it. I’ll be looking for a replacement for them very soon as I’m not particularly keen on mounting them on the side screens. There is a mount solution from Eccles in the Lotus 7 Club, but I think I’d like to see one in action before going for it. Plus I want shiny chrome mirrors to match the rest of the brightwork.

The rear-view mirror needs to be mounted upside-down for the angle of the stem to work with the windscreen, which is initially weird, but I’ve stopped noticing it.

I started to fit IVA trim on the sharp edges in the footwell and popped in the large grommets that provide access to the battery master switch wiring (mirrored on the passenger side for LHD models). I also fitted a little trim to the vestigial steering column bracket, hidden behind the fuse box cover. Having played at fitting the trim, I decided I needed to be systematic, so started to run through the IVA guide and IVA section in the main manual to identify all the points I would need to cover. Exhaust springs, heat-shield, I even looked out the bonnet clip covers (ugh), but then decided not to fit bolt covers and the like before the PBC, as the mechanic would only take them off to check torque, and might not refit them.

I also tidied up the wiring in the engine bay, cable-tieing everything to chassis tubes or other wires to stop any chance of them flapping about. There was a length of fuel hose provided in the kit, for which the only use I can see is to sheath the clutch cable on it’s route down to the bellhousing. So that’s what I did. I had a very long positive cable (red sheathing) running from the battery master switch to the starter motor, so long I doubled it back on itself along one of the chassis rails before it dropped down to the starter.

I’d put this whole process of trim-fitting off because I wasn’t looking forward to it, unsure whether I’d discover some major mistake in the pipes or wiring, when in fact when it came to it, it was very satisfying to finally tidy it all up and make it look professional.

At the back, I tidied the wires for the speed sensor and fixed that into place and cable-tied the handbrake cable into position on the A-frame (not the chassis) as per the IVA guide. I did a bit of fettling of the speedo sensor too, using the light as the guide for the air gap being correctly position: 1 to 1.2 mm from the toothed wheel on the offside rear driveshaft.

Finally, I trimmed the boot carpet to fit around the filler cap pipework cover which I’d fitted earlier.

Then I went over it all again with a fresh eye on another night to make sure I hadn’t missed anything and bingo! I spotted a group of unused wires from the loom near the modine which were hanging in space. Two ties later and job done. All tidy and ready to be inspected by someone competent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *